Benedict XVI bit lower than three units on the roof of 120 set by Pope Paul VI. The bishop of Hong Kong, Joh Tong, 72, will be the only Chinese cardinal elector, and the practice which denies the purple at the head of a diocese whose predecessor is "under 80" has been applied for but not Nosiglia in Turin Betori in Florence nor Collins in Toronto.
1) Archbishop Rino Fisichella, president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting the New Evangelization, former rector of [...]
of 'Lateran University and former president of the Pontifical Academy for Life. Its absence in the list of new cardinals is all the more surprising because his department is involved in the Year of Faith newly instituted by Benedict XVI with the motu proprio. Has sparked public outcry his "acquittal" to Berlusconi for blasphemy 'by context. "
2) Nosiglia (pictured), archbishop of Turin and vice president of the CEI for Northern Italy, will not receive the purple. It 'a Ruini "doc" in a consistory marked by Bertone. It is not, however, but rather a rejection of the application of a practice whereby you wait for every diocese that fulfilled 80 years, the emeritus bishop of the city. The predecessor of Nosiglia, Severino Poletto of years it turns 79 in March. It is no secret that for the chair of St. Maximus, Bertone prefer to Ruini Nosiglia his loyalists as the new cardinals Versaldi and Bertello or "outsiders" such as Jordan and Lambiasi. The game Turin won it Ruini, that the Sacred College Bertone.
3) Contrary to expectations, it will not be a cardinal in the next consistory of Lebanon Maronite Patriarch Bechara Rai. Probably be comforted by receiving in 2012 the visit of Benedict XVI in the Middle Eastern country. At home he was accused of being too "meek" against Syria. But behind his wisdom is the fear of an Islamist drift in Damascus with consequences for the entire region.
1) Archbishop Antonio Maria Vegliò, President of the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant and long-time diplomat. After being secretary of the Congregation for Eastern Churches, where he became minister of immigration in the long run his prudence prevailed with respect to the "pickaxe" his deputy Agostino Marchetto, left the stage for conflict with the Vatican Secretariat of State on its critical to 'Italy for the "crackdown" anti-illegal
2) In two months has passed Giuseppe Betori dall'agguato in the bishop's purple. An unwritten rule denies a cardinal at the head of a diocese whose predecessor is "under 80." Despite the former Ennio Antonelli, Archbishop of Florence has 75 years, Betori joined the Sacred College also because of the service provided as general secretary of the CEI with Ruini.
3) Coccopalmerio Francis, president of the Pontifical Council for Legislative Texts and former auxiliary bishop of Milan. With Benedict XVI has 'earned' more tasks. The Secretary of State at the OK curial documents now joins the "green light" of his department. It deals with the legal supervision on the machine curia and the bishops, with the function of interpreting the laws of the Church.